What is the purpose of a White Elephant gift?
A White Elephant gift exchange is a fun party where everyone brings gifts to trade. The purpose of choosing a white elephant gift is hilarious entertainment. Most people choose a gift that will make the party more fun by encouraging party-goers to fight for their gift (or fight to get rid of the gift).
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
Best presents you can bring to a white elephant gift exchange
After 2020, it’s simply obvious. Bring toilet paper or wipes and it will be something everyone will want to nab.
- 24 FAMILY MEGA ROLLS: Cottonelle Ultra Clean Toilet Paper with Active CleaningRipples Texture, 24 Family Mega Rolls (4 packs of 6); 388 sheets per roll .
What are the rules for a white elephant gift exchange?
- Groups will often clarify their own rules before the party, but these are some general rules that most follow during a white elephant gift exchange:
- Every player brings one wrapped gift. A spending limit is usually decided upon beforehand.
- Participants will sit in a circle and take turns opening a gift.
- On upcoming turns, each person can choose whether they want to open a new present or steal another person’s present.
- If someone’s gift is stolen, they choose whether they want to steal another player’s gift or choose another wrapped gift.
What are other names for White Elephant games?
Other versions of White Elephant parties are: Dirty Santa, bad Santa, Santa exchange, rob your neighbor. They’re all different versions of funny gift giving where you ultimately want to bring the present that everyone will want to steal.
Add this trick box to any other White Elephant gift
Prank gift boxes can be added to any other gifts for extra laughs.
- PRANK GIFT BOXES at first appear to contain bizarre products from ridiculous companies. Simply, “Put Your Real Present Inside the Joke Box" and try to keep a straight face as you watch your friends & loved ones attempt to remain gracious while thanking you for the present. Then watch them explode with laughter when they discover their actual stuff inside and realize they’ve been pranked. (DOES NOT INCLUDE ACTUAL MY FIRST FIRE)
What if you procrastinated and need something now?
If you’re out of time and can’t get to the store, you have options. Quickly find something around your house or look into Amazon Prime. Most of the items on this page are available on Amazon Prime with 2-day shipping. If you procrastinated on buying a gift, it may not be too late. If you don’t already have Amazon Prime, you can grab a Free 30 day trial.
How do you make white Elephant more fun?
- Change the rules to fit your group
- Have a theme party such as, useful gifts, used gifts, best gifts, edible gifts or funny gifts.
- Keep gift givers anonymous
- Give prizes for gifts brought: best, worst, funniest, etc.
- Pair the game with an ugly sweater (or ugly mask) theme. Or any other dress code.
- Add extra challenges as the game goes on
- Keep all of the gifts wrapped and a secret until the end
- Add karaoke to the party
What is a good gift for White Elephant?
Pretty much anything can be a good White Elephant gift. That’s the fun of it. You can bring something funny. Or you can bring a coveted gift that everyone will prefer over the gag gifts.
Are white elephant gifts supposed to be previously used or re-gifted?
Most white elephant gifts are not necessarily old and used, but are often something lying around the house unused. This can be something you bought years ago, or you can re-gift something you never used. Many people will buy something funny that you wouldn’t normally gift someone.
Ideally, the host will specify some type of theme or the party goers will talk about the type of gifts they plan on bringing. If not, it will be fun to have a combination of gifts, which will cause more competition when choosing.
What do you get for white elephant at work?
Some of the funniest gifts for work might center around an inside joke you have with your coworkers. Or it can be something fun for a desk. Such as, desk games or a litter box zen garden.
What is a good unisex gift?
Some gender neutral gift ideas for pretty much any age are: any kind of food or treats, home items, office supplies, Christmas ornaments, household goods, blankets, games and more. Here are a few specific examples:
Useful white elephant gift ideas
One way to find random, but useful White Elephant gifts, is to search the clearance section. You can find unique gifts like a Broncos crockpot or 49ers toaster. Plus, they’re more likely to be in your budget if you find them on clearance.
Creative white elephant gift ideas
Bring something creative by finding something that hysterically solves a problem.
Edible white elephant gifts
If you’re not sure what to bring, food is always a hit. Try to find something that most people haven’t had. Or a version of a food item that might not be poplar for a reason.
Is a blanket a good white elephant gift?
A blanket can be a good White Elephant present. You can bring a standard every day blanket that might be a relief from the other gag gifts. Or check out these hilarious versions that will make the other party goers chuckle, but will also be useful down the line.
Related party articles
Awesome White Elephant Gifts Everyone Will Fight For
If you want to bring the ultimate White Elephant gift that everyone will want, read your audience and decide what they’ll all be clamoring over and make sure to check out all of the comical ideas above.